Mittwoch, 22. August 2012

THANKS, JAMAICA - Miss Jamaica relishes support received

MISS Jamaica World 2012 Deanna Robins is still floating following her top seven placing at Miss World in China on Saturday.

Speaking to the Jamaica Observer from the United States, where she is taking a brief holiday before returning home, Robins thanked Jamaicans for their tremendous support during the pageant, the magnitude of which she says has just hit her.

"I just want to say a big thank you to everyone for their kind words... I can't even express how great I feel for this support. However, I am just being made aware of how much Jamaicans were supporting me via social media now that I am in the States as in China, there is limited access to social media such as Facebook, YouTube and Twitter," she disclosed.

The hectic schedule of activities prevented Robins from basking in the success of the Jamaican athletes at the London Olympics which ran concurrently with the Miss World pageant.

"I did not get a chance to watch the races since we were so busy attending events and participating in rehearsals, but I was kept updated thanks to my parents who emailed me the information. Were it not for these emails, one would never know the Olympics was on... there was no Olympic vibe."

And what are her thoughts about China?

Robins admits that the biggest culture shock came with the bathrooms in China, which are very different from those to which she is accustomed.

"It is a communist state and one just had to get used to that," she states. "You had to accept that some of the amenities you are accustomed are not available. However, the system of government is very strong and is why they are becoming a super power."

She added that despite the language barrier the host country did everything to make her stay a memorable experience.

However, being away from home for an extended period for the first time -- five weeks -- did take its toll on the local beauty.

"I really missed my Jamaican food. Chinese food in China does not taste like Chinese food in Jamaica, even if its the same dish."

She noted that the buffet lines got longer any time there was something familiar on the menu, such as pasta, french fries or potato wedges. There was also the unfamiliar foods such as donkey and snails.

Having done well in the fast-track competition, Robins says she was "excited" going into the final night where she made top seven and copped the title of Caribbean Queen of Beauty.

"When I made top seven I was both nervous and excited. However, I was putting my best foot forward, knowing that I had done my best and it was now up to the judges."

So, how did she prepare for the dreaded final question?

"I did not prepare. I try not to, as I believe it makes me more nervous. So all I did was answer the question asked, while trying to remain calm and ignore the fact that about two billion people are watching," Robins says.

She returns to the island early next week and prepares for her year-long reign.

"I really want to make the most of this once in a lifetime experience, giving it my full attention."

(from Jamaica Observer)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...