Donnerstag, 27. Dezember 2012

Nkulee Dube does it her way

HAVING a famous father who made his mark through conscious music inspired Nkulee Dube to follow in his footsteps.

She was shattered when Lucky Dube was murdered in October, 2008 in Johannesburg, capital of their native South Africa. He was killed shortly after dropping two of his seven children at their uncle’s home.

Speaking with the Jamaica Observer from South Africa, Nkulee, 26, said her father’s death has had a tremendous impact on her music.

“His passing affected me massively in my music. My voice had more aggression in delivery, those who knew me thought I was angry sometimes in my lyrical content,” she said.

Nkulee recently released her album My Way, produced by Bethuel Mbonani, whom she describes as one of her closest friends. She wrote most of the songs because “I had a lot to say”.

While she is influenced by her father’s music and African sounds, Nkulee says she cannot get enough of Jamaican music especially Etana, Queen Ifrica and Sizzla.

“They are where I think most artistes in the reggae movement want to be,” she said, adding that one of her greatest ambitions is to perform in Jamaica.

“Oh my God! I would love to and I’m anticipating the moment. I think I will have a crazy fan moment since most of my favourite performers are based there.”

Lucky Dube was similarly inspired by Jamaican music, with many critics likening his vocal delivery to Peter Tosh. Dube performed in Jamaica in 2007 as part of the Cricket World Cup’s opening ceremony.

Nkulee started off as a dancer at age 16, accompanying one of South Africa’s top female artistes, Lebo Mathosa.

In January, she plans to kick off her world tour and focus on her Nkulee Productions company which manages her various business enterprises which entails music, fashion and jewellry design.

(from Jamaica Observer)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...