Donnerstag, 22. August 2013

Bloodline Alton Ellis' grandson turns to music

WITH singers Alton and Hortense Ellis his maternal grandfather and grand-aunt, Cary O'Connor (aka Famous 20) has an impressive musical lineage.

But despite growing up in the community of Trench Town surrounded by music, the 31 year-old singer never considered a career in entertainment. Instead, he followed in the footsteps of his father - former Boys' Town and Jamaica batsman Courtney O'Connor - and played cricket.

But that all changed 10 years ago when he migrated to Florida.

"I was a sports buff, cricket and football were my two main loves but I enjoyed music," he told the Jamaica Observer. "In Florida I found out that cricket was on the backburner, and it was difficult to get into football."

With his sports career on hold, Famous 20 turned his attention to another passion - dancing.

It was while practising dance moves that he caught the attention of producer Ajanie Errol Williams who encouraged him to try singing.

"I hid out for about three months 'cause I didn't believe I could deliver," he said laughing. Williams eventually caught up with him.

"I took courage and went to the studio, penning a song and recording it then and there," Famous 20 recalled.

That song turned out to be his debut single, Dagger Wuk. Since then, he has recorded a number of songs including Nuh Sey Nutten and Can Wine.

Currently, he is cutting singles for different labels including his own King Dreamz, Rave Entertainment and DJ Frass.

He wants to make an impact similar to that of his famous grandfather, who is one of the greats of Jamaican popular music.

"I want to follow in his footsteps as what stands out in his mind is his love for music and family," said Famous 20. "Everytime I see him, I see greatness standing in front of me."

(from Jamaica Observer)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...