Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2012

Rikroot joins Konshens, Delus, in music

Following in the footsteps of his older brothers Delus and Konshens, up-and-coming artiste Rikroot is seeking to carve out a niche for himself in the dancehall arena.

Born Garvin Spence, Rikroot, who now resides in New Jersey, told THE STAR that his love for music was passed down by his mother.

"At first my love of music came from Mommy, she always a play music. Also, my two older brothers - Delus and Konshens, when they came off their first tour of Japan and me see di talent, mi record my first song and it sound really good and mi take it from there," he said.

The artiste who says his style of music is more dancehall-pop, concedes that being based overseas does have its downfalls.

"Artistes overseas have a hard time. Dancehall a Jamaica people ting so you haffi inna dem face, you caan do dat when you deh foreign. Mi have the look and the marketability, dem a go tired fi see Rikroot," he emphasised.

With songs such as Galang Gal, Weed and Stay Whe Yuh Deh gradually gaining momentum, Rikroot hopes to cement his place as a contender for dancehall's top spot.

When questioned as to why he was not signed to his brother Konshens' Subkonhsus label, Rikroot told THE STAR that he wanted to find his own path in the industry.

"Me and Konshens had a talk about that same ting. Konshens is a very picky brother, him business-minded. Even though me a him brother, what needed to be done, in terms of being in the studio everyday and ting, I wasn't doing it at that time. Not to say if dem gimme a rhythm mi nah go voice, but as a individual, me waan find my owna path," he told THE STAR.

"The best advice I have gotten was that mi must tek telling. Konshens teach me say you never too big to learn something. Him tell me say mi must make sure me know the business," Rikroot said.

(from Jamaica Star)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...