Freitag, 2. November 2012

Change of tune? - Theologian to include Tosh songs in college course

Reverend Clinton Chisholm, who has been a consistent critic of Rastafari, says he wants to include the music of Peter Tosh in his course at the Jamaica Theological College (JTC).

Chisholm, a respected theologian, was speaking at a symposium on the fiery reggae star, held two weeks ago at the University of the West Indies' Mona campus.

"The reason I am here. I want to be informed on it (Tosh's music). I know too little, just bits and pieces so I say let me fill in the gaps," Chisholm said.

He added: "You kind of hear some of the songs but you forget a lot. So I think it's a good occasion to remedy the little gaps in my knowledge."

Chisholm told the Jamaica Observer that he recently launched a course in music and society at the JTC and he is keen for Tosh's music to be part of it.

"I am going try get some of his records for the students just to make them more aware of it. What I am going to do is listen and analyse the music," he said.

Tosh, a committed Rastafarian, is known for hard-hitting songs such as Downpressor Man, Equal Rights and Get Up, Stand Up.

He was murdered at his St Andrew home in September, 1987. Tosh was awarded the Order of Merit, Jamaica's third highest honour, in October.

A former rector of the Phillipo Baptist Church in Spanish Town, Chisholm has discredited the Rastafarian philosophy for years. He has conducted several lectures on the topic as well as newspaper articles and recordings, culminating in his book Revelations On Ras Tafari: The Truths About Rastafari Revealed.

(from Jamaica Observer)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...